Home Wiring Warning Signs

The majority of homeowners do not regularly inspect the wiring in their home so it can be difficult to detect damage to wiring or if the electrical system is compromised. Electrical hazards are often missed until is too late, damaged wiring is the second leading causing of house fires in the United States according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Discovering warning signs before any serious damage occurs is important, tour your home and search for the following signs that may indicate a problem:

  • Dimming/Flickering Lights: Lights should not fluctuate in brightness unless a dimmer is being used. Unintentional flickering and dimming may indicate improper wiring or even a circuit overload. Older homes often use breaker boxes that under-power modern day fixtures and appliances, requiring a system upgrade.
  • Blown Fuses/Tripped Breakers: Although the occasional fuse blowout may occur, repeat trips and blowouts are usually a sign of a more serious problem that should be investigated by a qualified Scottsdale electrician.
  • Discolored Wall Outlets: Outlets with scorch marks and discoloration caused by smoldering can be an indication for damaged wiring, improper wiring or an electrical problem with the device that is plugged in. Do not use outlets exhibiting these signs, especially if sparks are present, contact an electrician in Scottsdale to have it inspected.
  • Burning Smell: Whether the appliance is overheating or a wiring problem exists, unplug the device immediately or turn off the breaker to the appliance, as the electrical wiring may be burning and could trigger a fire.

Whether concerned with your old home’s wiring or curious about the status of the electrical system in a home you just moved in to, contact the qualified Phoenix and Scottsdale electricians at G & S Electric, Inc to schedule an inspection. For your residential, commercial, industrial and solar energy needs, call G & S Electric at (602) 493-1135 or contact us online.

© 2022 G&S Electric, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Web Design by Rainmaker | Redesigned and maintained by SahliTech, Inc.